How to register

It is important to register with the centre early in the semester or upon admission to UNB. This will help ensure your accommodation needs are adequately supported and you have access to appropriate resources through our office and on campus.

Deadlines for semesterly registration is two weeks prior to the last day of term. (Fall term 2021: CLOSED; Winter, 2022: March 30th)


To register, you must have the following before booking an intake appointment:

  1. Recent disability documentation provided by a regulated health care professional
  2. A completed student intake form - Intake Form

Each of these items must be provided before registration is confirmed.

Only students registered with the centre are eligible to receive academic accommodations through our office.

Requirements for registration

The centre provides services and supports for a variety of disability types as denoted below, however, this list is not exhaustive.

Please contact the centre if you have any questions or concerns regarding your disability.

Common Disabilities

  • Mental Health (Anxiety Disorders, Mood Disorders, Trauma, Personality Disorders, Grief, Addiction, Eating Disorders, etc.)
  • Attention Decifit/Hyperactivity Disorder
  • Learning Disability (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Processing Deficits)
  • Austism Spectrum/Asperger's Syndrome
  • Chronic Conditions (Autoimmune Disorders [MS, Crohn's, Arthrhitis], Migraines, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, etc.)
  • Concussion (Traumatic Brain Injury and Post-Concussion Syndrome)
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Blind and Visually Impaired
  • Physical Disability (Mobility Disability, Motor Impairments, Congenital Conditions, etc.)
  • Neurological Disability (Tourette Syndrome, Epilepsy, Cerebral Palsy, etc.)

Temporary Disabilities

Students may register at the centre if they experience a temporary disability, as described below. Students with a temporary disability must provide recent disability documentation completed by a regulated health care professional and must also fill out the student intake form before booking an intake appointment.

Please contact the centre if you have any questions or concerns regarding your disability.

  • Injury or Accident
  • Post-Operative
  • Pregnancy
  • Rehabilitation

Short Term Illnesses or Absences

Students who experience short term illnesses (influenza, Strep throat, gastroenteritis, etc.) or absences (bereavement, family emergencies, acute situations, etc.) should contact the Student Advocate Office for support and resources.

Disability Documentation

Disability documentation must be recent and must be completed by a regulated health care professional who is familiar with your disability needs and who can continue to follow you for support.

The documentation must be able to speak to your functional limitations (how your disability impacts you academically) and provide recommendations for academic accommodation.

Accepted Documentation

  • Student Accessibility Centre Forms (Mental Health/ADHD or Physical/Chronic Health)
  • Psychoeducational Assessments (completed within the last 5 years)
  • Disability Assessments (completed by a disability expert/service provider)
  • Student Loan Medical Assessment Form (as required to apply as a Student with a Permanent Disability)
  • Specialist Report/Letter (provided on letterhead)

 Ineligible Documentation

  • Incomplete or unsigned documentation
  • Documentation completed by a non regulated or non health care professional
  • Documentation completed by an inappropriate regulated health care professional (a dentist attesting to a mental health disability)
  • Psychoeducational Assessments older than 5 years
  • Individual Education Plans (IEPs) from elementary or secondary school
  • Prescription pad notes
  • Hospital admittances or appointment cards
  • Medical or lab tests/reports
  • Prescriptions for medication

Qualified Professionals

Qualified professinals who provide disability documentation are regulated, meaning they have memberships to professional bodies and are licensed to practice, and are health care professionals who are familiar with different types of disabilities and can provide expert advice. The following is a list of eligible regulated health care professionals who can complete disability documentation:

  • Physicians & Nurse Practitioners (available on campus at the Student Health Centre)
  • Counsellors (available on campus at Counselling Services)
  • Psychiatrists
  • Psychologists
  • Occupational/Physiotherapists
  • Audiologists
  • Speech Pathologists
  • Midwives (for pregnant students)
  • Medical Specialists (rheumatologists, neurologists, surgeons, etc.)
  • Chiropractors
  • Disability Specialists

Booking an Intake Appointment

At this time we ask students interested in registering with the centre to contact the office by Email with a quick message about your disability needs and availability for a phone appointment. Please attach a copy of your documentation to your message.