Waste management

UNB strives to divert its waste from the landfill through recycling. UNB Fredericton has identified challenges with the current Waste Management Plan that limits our ability to maximize its diversion rate.

To develop a Waste Management Plan, UNB Sustainability audited the waste of selected buildings to gain initial baseline waste data. This data showed that:

  • 30% of material in the trash could have been recycled
  • Over 80% of the trash was collected from single stream trash bins

Centrally-located waste bins

An emerging trend at other institutions aiming to increase their diversion rates is to provide centrally located waste bins that allow individuals to sort their trash based on a three stream system: garbage, paper and refundable materials. This approach provides people streaming options when disposing of waste.

Three-stream waste management system

UNB Fredericton has started to use a three-stream waste management system: Garbage, paper and refundable material. Our challenge is only 3% of our bins are the three stream system, the remaining 97% are single stream bins (Residence buildings were excluded from this audit). The lack of availability of three stream bins does not allow our campus community to make sustainable choices when disposing of used materials.