CALS 4016 - University Prep English
This is an intensive, online, non-credit course that is equivalent to the English 122 offered in New Brunswick high schools. Successful completion of this course may be used to satisfy admissions requirements at the University of New Brunswick. In accordance with provincial language arts curriculum requirements, students in this class will be asked to:
- examine and synthesize ideas - interact in both leadership and support roles
- examine literary texts and the cultural contexts of their creators
- write reflectively, critically, and analytically about the ideas, values, and social effects of texts
- practice the conventions of formal writing
- read widely and experience a variety of literary genres
- access, select, and present research
- use writing to explore, extend, and reflect on experiences, processes, and achievements
- participate in group discussions
- research and formulate a formal academic document
Course Start Date: January 8, 2018
Last day for refund - January 12
Last day to enrol - January 4
Cost: $325 + HST
Textbook: The Seagull Reader: Literature, third edition (three volume Norton set). ISBN: 978-0-393-93810-4
Sula, by Toni Morrison. ISBN: 978-1400033430
Note: The textbooks are mandatory, and students must have it on the start date of the course.
You may purchase the textbook through the University Bookstore, either in-person or online.
This course is delivered entirely online via Desire2Learn (D2L) and Skype for Business. Students must have access to a computer, microphone and speakers, or a headset. Students will be required to participate in a live, interactive session to take place one evening per week for the course’s duration.
Note: If paying with internet banking it may take 3-5 days for the payment to reach UNB and for your registration to be complete.