Frequently Asked Questions Page

How do I register for a lesson or ensemble?
The easiest way to sign up for lessons or an ensemble is to complete our online registration form.

The registration form for private lessons can be found here:

The registration form for youth ensembles can be found by clicking the link of the ensemble you are interested in.

The registration form for Programs for Everyone can be found by clicking the link of the ensemble you are interested in.

How do I pay for my lessons?
Lesson payments are accepted at CEL's Registration Desk.
We accept credit and debit card, cash and cheque. You can call our Registration Desk at (506) 453-4646 to pay by credit card, or you can visit us at:
UNB College of Extended Learning: Wu Centre, 6 Duffie Drive, Room 215 (2nd floor) Fredericton, NB E3B 5A3
Cheques should be made payable to the “University of New Brunswick”.

Can I just pay my instructor directly?
We ask that lesson payments only be accepted through CEL’s Registration Desk. This ensures that the administration can easily keep track of the lessons you have purchased. If it is difficult to stop into the Registration Desk in person, we conveniently accept lesson payments by phone. The UNB Conservatory is not responsible for any payments that are not made at the College of Extended Learning’s Registration Desk.

How many lessons do I get per semester?
Lessons are purchased in blocks of 4 – students can purchase 4, 8, or 12 lessons at a time, whichever is most convenient for you.

I can’t afford to pay for music lessons. What should I do?
The UNB Conservatory offers financial aid to deserving students. Please contact the Centre for Musical Arts Administrator to get more information on how to apply for need-based financial aid.

I am moving, and can no longer continue lessons. What should I do?
In the event where a student can no longer participate in lessons or an ensemble, a written notice must be given to the Conservatory Coordinator.  After the withdrawal request is received, a pro-rated amount of the tuition fee will be refunded to the portion of the course/program not yet completed. Please be sure to do this within 1 month of the student’s last attended lesson. All refund requests will be subject to a $25 administrative processing fee which will be withheld from the refund total.

Do I need my own instrument?
Yes – in order to progress, it is important to have an instrument that you can practice on at home.  If purchasing an instrument is not feasible, there is always an option to rent one! Long and McQuade rents a variety of orchestral instruments.

Do I have to play in the year-end recital?
You are not obliged to play in the year-end recital, but it highly encouraged, since this is a great opportunity to share what you have been working on with your family and friends! Recital performances as a great goal for students to work toward throughout the year, and is a great learning experience.