Virtual Classes, aka. Skype for Business
Online Meetings, Virtual Classes & Conferences
To join a Skype for Business meeting, you need a link provided to you and the Skype for Business Web App (a plugin for your browser):
- Paste the provided Skype for Business link into your browser (please use Safari on MAC and Explorer on PC).
- Make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of your browser (Internet Explorer on PC or Safari on MAC strongly recommended).
- optional: If either the desktop program "Lync" (MAC) or Skype for Business (PC) opens at any time, please ignore that or (force) close it.
- Go back to the browser and select "Join Using Skype for Business Web App instead".
- First time only (installing the web app):
- Follow the steps on the screen. Click to download the Skype for Business Web Meetings App ("Web app"); this only needs to be done once.
- Close all browser windows and quit the internet browser.
- Go to your downloads folder and install the plugin that has been downloaded.
- Re-open the meeting link ( Desktop programs might open. Again, use "Join Using Skype for Business Web App instead").
- Now select "Join the Meeting".
- You can either sign in as a guest by just typing your name in the "guest field", or sign in via Office 365, using your UNB login information.
- The Skype for Business Web App will open and will connect you to the session.
- TRY IT: The following meeting is available to anyone 24/7 to try Skype for Business: http://tinyurl.com/skypefb-test-room
NOTE: Although Skype for Business has phone and tablet apps, we do not recommend using them, as some presented content cannot be viewed on these devices. These devices can be used, though, when having problems with desktop or web apps of the program.
If you couldn’t successfully install the Skype For Business Web App, follow these steps:
- Visit the Skype link for your class, and when prompted, download and install the "Skype for Business Web App plug-in”.
- BEFORE INSTALLING, please close all of your internet browsers entirely - this is important!
- Now, find the installer file in your DOWNLOADS folder. (It probably starts with the word “Skype”). Double-click it and follow the instructions.
- Now, re-try the class link, and if prompted to install or allow anything else, do so as well.
- As a last resort (not recommended), use a mobile device (tablet or phone connected via WiFi) to join the session.
To create a new meeting link, login to the online scheduler: https://sched.lync.com/ (Use Your UNB ID & Password)
- TIP 1: Create one meeting and re-use that same meeting link for all future meetings.
- TIP 2: In the field “Who is a presenter”, try “Organizer only.” This will make you the only presenter, but in a live meeting, you can give others presenter status at anytime.
- TIP 3: Copy the meeting link that shows up after “saving” and send that link to participants.